Thursday, December 3, 2009

Taking possession of our promises

Last Saturday I had the priviledge and honor of sharing a message at our young adults meeting. This word that God gave me transformed my life! I have been meditating on this word since Saturday and I decided to share it on the King's Daughters forums.

The 'title' of my message was "Crossing over and taking Possession of our Promises". Many of us are holding onto promises that we have received from God and are yet to see come to pass. Just as the children of Israel stood on the banks of the river Jordan with the promises from God that he was taking them out of the wilderness into a land flowing with milk and honey... many of us are looking across to the other side from where we stand and we can see a glimpse of the promises of God but we havent possessed them yet.

The first time God brought them to the crossing point, the Israelites failed to cross over because of unbelief. They didnt yet see themselves the way God saw them - as possessors of the promise - and they shrunk back in fear. As a result they had to spend another 40years in the wilderness.. we know the story.

Forty years later, they were back at the same "Crossing Point". And this time, their attitude had changed. The new generation was ready to OWN the promises, face the giants and fight the battles. They had heard their parents tell them the story of this promised land and the goodness, abundance and riches thereof. The thought of someone else living in their house, eating their food, driving their car, enjoying their benefits caused them to stir themselves up. Knowing that God was with them gave them the confidence to step out and take possession in spite of the giants occupying the land and the battles that they would have to fight!

See as believers, its not enough to just sing about the promises, read them out loud, visualize or meditate on them.. there actually comes a "Crossing Point" in our lives where we have to PHYSICALLY TAKE, GO POSSESS and OWN the promises that God has given us. We have to live our promises in spite of the external circumstances! Our faith and belief is expressed in our attitudes towards life as we live it- in the way we walk, the way we talk, the very presence we exude when we step into a place! I've seen people who seem to have the ability to take or possess what they want to see in their lives because they are the kind of people who put in the work and are willing to fight the battle and pay the price for the dream! You stand in the same room and you can sense their strong presence!

I took a hard knock to my faith this week. On Monday I got my results for exams I sat in October. This was my second attempt at these exams. This time I was certain that I was going to make it. I declared it, affirmed it, prayed it, fasted it, sang it, put up visuals in my room, on my phone.. I really felt like I was ready for this. I passed three out of the four papers I wrote, which meant that I have to rewrite all four exams for the third time next year. A lot of things went on in my head - stuff you have probably experienced - i thought to myself "God I prayed, fasted, verbalized, visualized my victory so why did this happen? How could this happen?". I really wanted the world to swallow me up. "What will people think or say? Sister Karen, the 'spiritual' one didnt make it". I had to gather myself up and face my parents, peers, collegues, employers. I determined in my heart that I was not going to give up! I am getting up and trying again despite people's opinions! People with a promise don’t always look like they have a promise. What you see now is only a snap shot of the journey. There are lessons to learn from this experience.

I believe that one of the lessons is that I have to physically take possession and own my victory in this and other areas of my life. As i reflected on the exams, I realised that I was actually intimidated by the one of the subjects, thats the truth, because its considered one of the hardest. I didnt have the right attitude towards it, and that nullified my confessions. The subject was the giant standing in my way and I shrunk back and saw myself as the grass hopper. The slightest disbelief can jeopardize your crossing over. Once you believe that your present problem is permanent, you lose the power to possess your promise.

There is a cost to taking possession of a promise. There is no subsititute for work, yes, even for the children of God. You will have to get your hands dirty, and fight battles against different giants. In my case, I will have to work at my studies with more determination, diligenece and focus. I have committed to pursuit excellence, to be a more excellent student next year and in so doing glorify God.  God has given me many promises that I MUST go out and possess. I have to do my part in the physical to possess it, and God will do the supernatural. God will never leave me or forsake me. It's time to cross over and possess the land!

What are the giants that are occupying your promise that you need to confront?
What are the battles that you need to fight? Are you really prepared to fight them?
Do you believe that God has already given you everything you could ever desire? Will you take possession of them?
What is stopping you today from taking possession of your promises and living the abundant life in Christ?

God is faithful! Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment